Kimens commits to Merrimack


Written By: Noah Cusack-Margolis
Warrior interview #4

When you think of "big hockey schools" you would think of schools like Michigan or Wisconsin schools that get a lot of commitments for their hockey program. One team you wouldn't think about as being a big hockey school that gets a tone of commits is Merrimack college. I was told by someone that they are now referring to Merrimack as "The Wisconsin of the East" because they are receiving so many commits like bigger schools like Wisconsin and Michigan. Scott Borek the head coach of the warriors has been very aggressive when it comes to recruiting players. He is leading this new program in a very good direction. Every recruit has said that " I can tell that coach Borek is really passionate about bringing a couple of championship banners to Lawler." Mission Merrimack is the new frase they use around the locker room, Scott Borek introduced that saying during his introductory press conference.

I was lucky enough to interview Regan and speak to the St. Andrews College coach David Manning. Who was Regan's former coach when Regan played at St. Andrews before he went to play with the Coquitlam Express (BCHL).

When I asked Manning how would he describe him as a player:
"Regan plays with an edge. He’s an intense in your face type of player who has some skill. Possesses a great shot release he’s going to be a fan favourite with his work ethic and ability to get under the opponents skin." (David Manning)

What would you say his physicality is like on the ice:
"He’s an aggressive player that loves to play in the dirty areas. Doesn’t mind mixing it up at all" (David Manning)

During your recruitment process what stood out to you when looking at Merrimack versus what other schools had to offer:

"Merrimack business program is very strong and they give you the ability to do your masters at the end of your fourth year. Its a developing team and I believe when I come in I can make a difference and be giving a chance, and the school facilities are amazing love the class sizes small so you can have a relationship with the professor and not get lost." (Regan Kimens)

When you received an offer from Merrimack did you know right away that’s the school I want to go to or did you wait a little bit before deciding on Merrimack:
"when I got the offer I waited around two makes to discuss with my parents that this was the right fit for the next four years and also coach Borek flying me out was huge because I needed to see the school before making any decision." (Regan Kimens)

Where do you see this program headed in the next couple of years, it’s a new coach and a lot of people say that he is very determined to bring home a couple of championship banners when meeting with coach Borek did you also get that same sense:

"I see this program making a huge impact in the hockey east conference I see the team in the next 5 years having a good run for the title and turning a lot of heads. From what I hear, Coach Borek is an amazing coach wants to have speed and play heavy, and also has had a great career coaching at the division 1 level with numerous teams" (Regan Kimens)
what do you think is the biggest asset that you will bring to the merrimack team:
"the biggest thing I think I will bring to Merrimack is probably being a 200 foot player that can battle all over the ice, that has great vision and hands to make the best play available. I am a great team guy, love hanging out with the boys and just super excited to step in and make a difference" (Regan Kimens)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barrett Commits To Merrimack

Hawks defeat the Warriors on senior night

O'brien commits to Merrimack for 2021