Severo commits to Merrimack

Written By Noah Cusack-Margolis
Warrior Interview #2

When it comes to finding good recruits one must have his or her eye on the for a while sometimes even before you switch coaching jobs from one school to another, and that's exactly what Merrimack Head coach Scott Borek did. Another top recruit Merrimack received comes from an 01 forward Casey Severo a very good hockey player with a very good hockey IQ. Casey who recently played with Noble & Greenough School and played in 28 game for Noble and Greenough ending with a total of 29 points (14 Goals, 15 Assists). One independent scout described Casey as " One of the top uncommitted players in prep hockey" obviously this statement was made before Casey committed to Merrimack College. Casey who also has taken part in the USA hockey select camps the last 2 seasons. Casey also appeared in the select 16 camp last season and the select 17 camp this season.
Neutral zone rated Casey 3.75 stars out of 5 in terms of a recruit noting his IQ and work ethic. Casey is expected to arrive at Merrimack in the fall of 2020.

I was lucky enough to interview Casey a while back and here are some clips of our interview:

Q: During your recruitment process what stood out to you when looking at Merrimack versus what other schools had to offer?

A: A huge factor was the coaching staff, I felt welcomed and knew I could develop and play for them in the best league in college hockey. Another piece was Merrimack as a school, the smaller school gave a greater sense of community which I was looking for.

Q: When you received an offer from Merrimack did you know right away that’s the school I want to go to or did you wait a little bit before deciding on Merrimack?

A: I waited a bit before decided just taking my time to figure out what I wanted in the school I was gonna be apart of for the next years of my life but after a second visit with coach Borak I knew that Merrimack was up and coming and was gonna do something special that I wanted to be apart of.

Q: Where do you see this program headed in the next couple of years, it’s a new coach and a lot of people say that he is very determined to bring home a couple of championship banners when meeting with coach Borek did you also get that same sense?

A: I see the program in that direction, coach Borek is on a mission that I and all the recruits have bought into and the Mission Merrimack is gonna happen. I believe Merrimack will be raising some banners in the coming years.

Q: Why did you chose merrimack over other schools?

A: I chose Merrimack over other schools for the smaller community base campus as well as the team playing in Hockey East and having a coaching staff I trust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barrett Commits To Merrimack

Hawks defeat the Warriors on senior night

O'brien commits to Merrimack for 2021