Hillier commits to Merrimack

Written By Noah Cusack-Margolis
Warrior Interview #3



It seems that the Merrimack College Men's ice hockey team has been able to get commitments from players who have been shown a lot of interest from the big name D1 schools. We have not seen this for a few years now but ever since Scott Borek has been hired as head coach we have been able to see a lot more top recruits commit to Merrimack College. Yesterday the Merrimack College ice hockey team continues to show that the big name recruits are starting to realize that Merrimack has the potential to become something big. Mark Hillier verbally committed to Merrimack College yesterday via Twitter.

Hillier who is an '02 forward and a Newfoundland native currently plays for St. Andrews College. During his time playing in the CAHS and CISAA, Mark finished off last season with 23 goals and 22 assists as the only 15 year old on the varsity roster during the 2017-18 season. During his time playing in bantam hockey in the 2017 season, Hillier posted 30 goals and 29 assists in 28 games. Hillier was also selected in the fourth round of the QMJHL draft being drafted by the Moncton wildcats.

Yesterday i was able to interview Hillier just minutes after he announced his commitment, here are some clips of the interview from yesterday

Q: During your recruitment process what stood out to you when looking at Merrimack versus what other schools had to offer? 

A: The big thing that stood out to me about Merrimack was really all the staff of the hockey team and how well they treated me as a player and a person while trying to recruit me, so I knew from the beginning that I would be in great hands at Merrimack.

Q: When you received an offer from Merrimack did you know right away that’s the school I want to go to or did you wait a little bit before deciding on Merrimack?

A: I took quite a while to decide. When I first got the offer I wasn’t too familiar with Merrimack, but after I looked at Merrimack online and visited the campus, i quickly found out that Merrimack is a great place and is a place I could see myself in the future.

Q: Where do you see this program headed in the next couple of years, it’s a new coach and a lot of people say that he is very determined to bring home a couple of championship banners when meeting with coach Borek did you also get that same sense?

A: I definitely got that same sense. Coach Borek has already done a fantastic job in recruiting elite players that will help Merrimack win championships, and from the relationship that I now have with him, I know that he will do everything he possibly can to make Merrimack the best team they can be, and i’m extremely excited about the program that Merrimack College Hockey is and will become.

Q: what do you think is the biggest asset that you will bring to the merrimack team?

A: I think that what i’ll bring to Merrimack on the ice is a playmaking style game. I have good hockey sense and I think that using that sense in the right way will allow me to be an effective player

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barrett Commits To Merrimack

Hawks defeat the Warriors on senior night

O'brien commits to Merrimack for 2021